Monday, November 22, 2010

4th Handmade Gift Idea for Christmas

Today brings us to day number 4 of the DT's fabulous Gift Ideas! This one is brought to us by Heather.......

For the fourth day of Christmas I decided to make a quick little stocking stuffer. I love those little pocket calendars that fit nicely in purses or pockets. They are a great way to keep track of important dates. Unfortunately I rarely ever find one with a picture or pattern that I really like.
The solution? Alter them!!
For this one I chose some of the beautiful new Christmas papers from the American Crafts Dear Lizzy line. I also selected some gorgeous crocheted ribbon from the bulk wall.

I removed the bland plastic cover from the pocket calendar so that I could work with the cardboard covered calendar alone. I inked all of the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. Then I cut a front and back cover for the calendar, inking the edges. I selected an element from the paper -- in this example I chose the popcorn strings -- to fussy cut as an accent. Finally I took a length of the ribbon that would wrap completely around the centre of the calendar -- I wanted it to serve as a bookmark so that it will be easy and quick to find the current date on the calendar. I adhered it to the edge, using it as a binding, then loosely tied it at the top.

Now I have a pretty little pocket calendar to add to someone's stocking this Christmas.

By adding some number and letter stickers to the cover the calendar can be more personalized with the year and the recipient's name.

No comments: